Creative Fibre Workshop
Tutor: Louise Cook
- To introduce the group to the SAORI techniques of cutting and sewing free-style plain hand woven cloth. This does not have to be SAORI cloth but any cloth.
- We will begin with commercial woven cloth and follow on with plain hand woven cloth.
- Greet, introduce self, give information re Health and Safety.
- Establish hours, eg morning and afternoon breaks, start and finish time of the day.
- Group introductions.
- Give a brief history of SAORI weaving and the philosophies including the use of the cuttng and seam techniques.
- How to cut hand woven cloth following the grain.
- How to cut hand woven cloth against the grain.
- How to cut hand woven cloth on the bias.
- Learn and practice the types of seams recommended by SAORI including:
- Intersecting seam.
- Welt seam.
- French seam.
- Flat felt seam.
- How to make the best use of selvages and raw, unravelled edges.
|Available for:||National; Area/local; Travelling Tutor|
|Minimum No. of Participants||4/5|
|Maximum No. of Participants||4/5|
|Learning Outcomes||Have knowledge of:|
• How to cut hand woven cloth following the grain
•How to cut hand woven cloth against the grain
• How to cut hand woven cloth on the bias
• Several metres of washed, woven cloth. The amount will be finalised between tutor and sewer.
• Sewing machine.
• Sewing notions including sharp scissors.
• Sewing machine tools.
• The types of seams recommended by SAORI including
• Intersecting seam
• Welt seam
• French seam
• Flat felt seam
• Be confident in selecting and using the best type of seam for the
purpose of their project
• Have a selection of different methods of the best use of selvages and raw, unravelled edges for their project
At the conclusion of the workshop, the participants would expect to take away: Samples of different types of Saori style seams for the sewing of a bag, a garment or other creation.
|Materials Required by Participants||• Own sewing machine|
• Pieces of woven cloth
• Sewing threads
• Wewing machine tools
|Materials Provided by Tutor||• Workshop notes, sewing machine, threads, samples of hand woven cloth, sewing tools to share.|
• Existing samples of the seams to be learned.
|Advance Preparation||Knowledge of machine sewing and how to operate their sewing machine.|
A selection of machine woven cloth samples.
A selection of hand woven cloth samples.
|Classroom Facilities||Chairs, tables suitable for placing sewing machines on, space enough for ease of movement by the workshop participants.|